Friday, January 13, 2012

So I'm Reading Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief...

...because I thought I should read it, since it is (or was) so popular. Gotta keep an eye on the competition, right?

I have to admit, I'm a little prejudiced against it because it sounds like a Harry Potter knock-off. Plus, I've already seen the movie (which wasn't very memorable).

But in the first few pages I came across this passage. Percy Jackson is the narrator:

Grover and I sat on the edge of the fountain, away from the others. We thought that maybe if we did that, everybody wouldn't know we were from that school -- the school for loser freaks who couldn't make it elsewhere. 
"Detention?" Grover asked. 
"Nah," I said. "Not from Brunner [the history teacher]. I just wish he'd lay off me sometimes. I mean -- I'm not a genius." 
Grover didn't say anything for a while. Then, when I thought he was going to give me some deep philosophical comment to make me feel better, he said, "Can I have your apple?" 

I was totally not expecting that. In fact, I was waiting for the deep philosophical comment too.

It's nice to be surprised like that.

Read my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...