Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Twelve Worlds


This is a cover that Ava designed for my work-in-progress. As you can probably tell by the planets, the ship, and, oh yeah, space, my story is science fiction.

Normally I don't read a lot of sci-fi.  Doctor Who, Star Wars, A Wrinkle In Time, the C.S. Lewis space trilogy, and a few Cordwainer Smith stories are the breadth of my experience (yes, I know, two of those are TV series/movies.)

But this idea just stuck with me. So I've made it my New Year's resolution to finish at least my first draft by the end of the year.

I find it easier to write the first draft on paper. On a computer screen its just too easy to go back and erase and edit and never finish. So I'm writing the first draft of my novel in a green journal that looks almost exactly like this, but without the logo in the corner:


I found this picture here.


I'm trying to write at least two pages a day. That comes to about 200-400 words, which is my minimum goal per day. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but if I actually d0 write exactly 200 words every day this year, that comes to about 73,000 words. Enough for an average novel.

At this point you're probably wondering what the novel is about. Later I may do a post about the characters in my story, but here's a brief synopsis for now:

Sometime in the future its been discovered that there is intelligent life on all nine planets in the solar system (yes, Pluto included) and on three satellites. Representatives from all twelve inhabited worlds are gathering on an enormous space ship for the very first inter-planetary peace conference. During the conference, a young detective named Simon King is hired by his friend and mentor, Martin Shaw, to track down the wanted rebel, Hugh Allen, who is also on board the space ship. However, what no one at the conference realizes is that an even bigger threat is in their midst.

Anyway, I should probably be writing instead of blogging right now. I have two warm kittens in my lap, though, and that makes it hard to get up. I wonder if they would mind being transferred to a different chair...

1 comment:

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...