Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for April


It seems appropriate to start this challenge with April, since this is the month.

Also, why not start off with a little bit of T.S. Eliot's Waste Land?
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
I love Waste Land. It has such a beautiful rhythm, even if it's not always a beautiful message.

April is the cruelest month. In a way, I agree. April is always so cold and soggy in Oregon. And it seems to last so long. I used to think it was the longest month.

However, there are two good things about April.

One, Easter is this month. Resurrection Sunday is one of my favorite days of the year.

Two, I have spring break this week. No online classes - which means I get to spend more time studying for my Humanities CLEP. Yay.

April's one of those months that's not all that exciting, which means its a good month to just buckle down and get things done. So that's what I'm planning on doing.

What's your favorite thing about April? Any big plans?

8 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about April has to be the flowers! Seeing all the life blooming around town is inspiring. Stop and appreciate the colors, the forms, the scents!

    Violet @ Revolution ~ Evolution

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello :) I found you on the A - Z signup list.

    I love April because I love spring. I like the warmer weather and the fact that my birthday is at the beginning of the next month :) April in Sweden began with a ton of snow though, so I hope it's not a sign of how the month is going to turn out!

    Good luck with the challenge, I'm following your lovely blog :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poetry and agree about the rhythm...it's beautiful!

    Easter and the resurrection is also one of my favorite times of year...I love the reminder and thoughtfulness it brings...

    Also, my two younger sisters have birthdays in April, so for me, it's a month of spending time with my family and celebrations and get togethers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet - for sure. After months of grey and evergreen here in Oregon, it's nice to see the yellow daffodils and pink and orange tulips! :)

    Nicki - Thanks for following! I'm very excited for warmer weather, too. I hope you get good weather in Sweden!

    Kristi - Yes, I love the thoughtfullness of this time of year. I appreciate the symbolism of death and rebirth that mirrors Christ's death and resurrection. :) And my dad also has a birthday in April. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comment, I'm looking forward to your post for today!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite thing about April is the Easter school holiday :-) But weather-wise, it's the month where we first start feeling like winter is on the way (I live in South Africa), which isn't so great... Goodbye summer :-(

    Rachel Morgan Writes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren! Thanks so much for your visit and fun comment; I am your newest follower.

    Best of luck on the A-Z Challenge,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niki - you're welcome! I hope you like today's post. :)

    Rachel - that's right, the seasons are backwards (to us Northerners) in South Africa. I've always found that fascinating. :)

    Kathy - Thanks for following! Best of luck to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...