Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I wanted to read this book slowly. I didn't want the series to end, or to leave Percy. But I had to find out how everything was resolved. I was hoping that Percy would live, that Luke would be redeemed, that Grover would achieve his purpose, that Annabeth would (finally) figure out who she really loved, and that Kronos would be defeated (practically a given, but still...)

Well, the book didn't disappoint. The action was a little slower than in other books (because there were more battle scenes, all in one place), but the tension was kept up until the very end. There were at least three important deaths, lots of backstory, and one thrilling resolution. The humor persisted throughout the book, putting hilarious twists on even the darker scenes.

My only complaints: the book ruined my two favorite mythological heroes, Sysiphus and Prometheus. Also, Percy encourages the gods to take responsibility for their children; not a bad thing in itself, but it seems to also paint ther continually having illegitimate kids as a good, or at least not a shameful, thing. And then, of course, the whole Greek gods/ illegitimate kids thing is... a bit awkward, to say the least.

But Percy is an amazing protagonist. He's funny, smart (but sometimes clueless) and just overall a likable guy. I liked him better than I ever liked Harry (although that could be due to the series being written in the first person).

Overall, it was an amazing series, one that'd I highly recommend to anyone who wanted a good, funny fantasy story, and a thrilling read.

I might look into Rick Riordan's other Camp Half-Blood series, although I don't think it will be the same without Percy's wonderful narration.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...